- adventure, Africa, african safari, holiday, migration, natural wonder, nature, photography, safari, Tanzania, travel, vacation, wildlife
Here are 5 fascinating Great Migration facts you might not know:
1. The Great Migration sees over 1.5 million wildebeest, 200 000 zebra and a host of other antelope travelling cross country.
2. The Great Migration is the largest overland migration in the world. The animals travel a total of 800km or more during each cycle.
3. While the migration may seem like a chaotic frenzy of movement, research has shown a herd of wildebeest possess what is known as ‘swarm intelligence’, where the wildebeest systematically explore and overcome an obstacle as one.
4. Because wildebeest have no natural leader, the migrating herd often splits up into smaller herds that circle the main, mega-herd, going in different directions. When considering these smaller, split herds the whole migration can cover over half of the whole Serengeti.
5. During the migration around 250,000 wildebeest and 30,000 zebra are killed off every year as a result of predation by carnivores – but also from thirst, hunger, and exhaustion.
Article originally posted by Africa Geographic